Last summer I read The Daily 5 and The CAFÉ and was lucky enough to attend a workshop with the sisters in the fall. I was very reluctant about changing my methods of teaching literacy but I jumped in and I will never turn back. I decided to join a summer reading club to refresh, reflect and improve on my teaching practices.
The Daily 5
Chapter 1- Introduction
My Top 10 Reasons Why I Switched to the Daily 5
10. Listening to the excitement of teachers at my school who used Daily 5 and Café
9. Getting my children to read and write daily
8. Children get to choose their books and writing topics based on interests
7. Teachers do not have to plan “busy” work and time-consuming centers
6. Children spend more time reading and less time on guided reading packets.
5. Skills are taught in mini-lessons daily...allows for more integration of skills
4. Daily 5 establishes routines and independence
3. Teacher can work with small groups while children work independently
2. Children internalize reading and writing behaviors
1. Children become voracious readers! (some adults too)
Please read my post from the fall: