Ch. 3- What's the Difference?
Key Materials, Concepts and Routines
- Establish a gathering place
- Have a large area with Chart Paper and Teaching materials
- Picking Good-Fit Books
- Model "I PICK" lesson. Use bookmarks, posters, etc.
- Shoe or Glove Lesson
- Setting Up Book Boxes
- Organize classroom library- Popular Authors, Levels, Genres
- Give Reading Inventory- use to help match interests and levels
- Have Book Boxes on desks
- Update Reading Levels(DRA's)
- Anchor Charts
- Create Classroom Charts and Display- "I" charts for each component of D5 and review
- CAFE board- add reading skills and strategies
- Anchor Chart Binder (pictures of charts that I take down)
- Short Intervals of Repeated Practice
- Practice for short intervals and build time, fourth graders can build their stamina quickly.
- Signals and Chimes
- Use a signal for silence- chime
- You can use a signal to gather- wind chime
- Use a signal for self-reflection- Thumbs Up or Sideways
- Correct Model/Incorrect Model
- Model proper way and improper ways
- Emphasize positive behaviors
The beginning of the year is about establishing routines, defining expectations, practicing behaviors, and building stamina. Move slowly and the payoff will be enormous!