Chapter Two explains the principles behind Daily Five. Last year was my first year implementing Daily 5 and my class became a community of readers!
The Foundations of Daily Five
- TRUST- Model lessons and practice build behaviors so kids can be trusted to manage their own time.
- CHOICE- Post daily schedule and go over in the morning. It keeps everyone on task. The children are more invested. Purpose + Choice= Motivation.
- COMMUNITY- Provides members a sense of ownership and accountability for behavior of effort, learning, order and kindness.
- URGENCY- Teach purpose for each part of Daily Five. Explain the whys. Teach children that reading is important.
- STAMINA- Teach children how to work independently each day and increase that time.
- STAY OUT OF THE WAY- Once children have understand expectations, practiced strategies, and built stamina...Let them read!